Second GRADE - PREP
Our Life in Jesus
This class is Catechist led and the second grade will be meeting in-person regularly at the Parish Life Center bi-weekly.
In Second Grade PREP students will focus on how much children are loved by Jesus Christ, and how his death and Resurrection has opened the way to heaven.
Things the students will learn in Second Grade religious instruction.
Students continue to learn about the parts of the Mass, the lives and lessons of the saints, and more ways to pray.
Special focus is placed on the Sacraments of Confession and Eucharist this year.
While it's important for your children to understand the Faith, Spirit of Truth is designed to help them internalize the Faith and apply it to their own lives, providing ample opportunity for them to reflect on how everything they are learning applies to their own lived experience.
PREP 2021/22 - weekly info - 2nd grade
Meeting Bi-Weekly at the Parish Life Center
6:00 – 7:30 on Tuesdays starting September 28, 2021.
Class start time: 6:15
September 28th: First Session – Unit 1, Session 1: God Is a Trinity of Persons
October 12th: Second Session – Unit 1, Session 4: Original Sin
Tuesday, October 19th: Special Event: Close of Forty Hours Eucharistic Devotion – All PREP
October 26th: Third Session – Unit 1, Session 6: Heaven, Purgatory, Hell
November 9th: Fourth Session – Unit 2, Session 7: Jesus Gave His Apostles the Power to Forgive Sins
November 30th: Fifth Session – Unit 2, Session 8: God Loves Us Even When We Sin
December 14th: Sixth Session – Unit 2, Session 9: The Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation
February 15th: Seventh Session – Unit 2, Session 10: How to Make a Good Confession
Saturday, February 19th: First Reconciliation, 10am
Helpful Links -
PREP Forms and Letters:
School Closing Information:
NBC – Channel 10
KYW – 1060 AM Radio
Our school closing number is 1165.
Parent and Teacher Resources:
Director of Religious Education:
Dr. Daniel Drain
Sacramental Dates -
First Reconciliation (2nd Grade):
Saturday, February 19, 2022
First Holy Communion Rehearsals (2nd Grade):
Friday, April 22, 2022
6:15 to 8:00 p.m.
Friday, April 29, 2022
6:15 to 8:00 p.m.
Holy Communion (2nd Grade):
Sunday, April 24, 2022
11:00 a.m. Mass
Sunday, May 01, 2022
11:00 a.m. Mass
Confirmation Retreat and Rehearsal (8th Grade):
Saturday, April 30, 2022
9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Saturday, May 07, 2022
The PREP calendar is also merged into the main
PREP COVID - 19 UPDATE
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ
RE: Covid-19 Protocols for Parish Religious Education Programs:
In-person Instruction As the Covid-19 and its variants continue to present challenges, the guidance from federal, state and local authorities varies and is ever-changing. Therefore, in order to avoid confusion, the Office for Catechetical Formation, in consultation with the Office of Catholic Education Covid-19 Task Force, created one, systematic plan for Archdiocesan Parish Religious Education Programs which are returning to in-person instruction for the 2021-2022 academic year.
This plan keeps the protection and safety of our parish children, most of whom are not vaccinated, foremost by mitigating exposure to the Covid-19 virus.
1. Waiver: Each student must have a signed and dated Archdiocesan Covid-19 waiver on file. If a parent/guardian refuses to sign the waiver, the family is offered a home-based catechetical plan.
2. Masks: All adults, teens and children are to be masked before, during an in-person instruction session and at dismissal until safely outdoors.
3. Social Distancing: Desks or seating must be three feet apart.
4. Classroom or Instructional space: • Environment: Keep well ventilated to the greatest extent possible to circulate fresh air; • Seating Charts: Important for Covid-19 tracing if someone tests positive and was present at PREP; • Shared School classrooms: Do not change the desk or other furniture set up.
5. Educational and Hygienic Supplies: The parish or families should provide hand sanitizer and tissues; educational materials such as crayons, markers, paper products, etc. should not be shared.
6. Cleaning and Sanitizing Shared Space: Rooms, bathrooms, high traffic areas and any shared space must be cleaned and sanitized after each PREP session.
For guidance, go to: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus
7. Monitoring Student Health: Parents/guardians should monitor their child’s health and not send a sick child to PREP.
8. Tracing and Reporting: If a student or an adult volunteer tests positive for Covid-19 or a variant, immediately contact the local County/City Department of Health for guidance. N.B.: Delaware County is under the state Department of Health.
Please be assured that this plan will be constantly monitored and adjusted if conditions improve or deteriorate. The Directors/Coordinators of Religious Education will be notified of these changes immediately via email.
C: Most Reverend Michael J. Fitzgerald, Rev. Stephen P. DeLacy, Dr. Andrew McLaughlin
recommended Reading - 2nd grade
This is where you will find stories we recommend to enhance and support the weekly PREP lesson experience. Our PREP team is available to discuss any questions you may have pertaining to your lessons.
Your Book List
THE QUILTMAKER’S GIFT
By Jeff Brumbeau, illustrated by Gail de Marcken A king learns the value of making a gift of himself to the people of his kingdom. This story invites us into learning more about the dignity of every person and the gift-of-self. The themes in this story are very rich and numerous!
THEMES: Original Solitude; Creation Is a Gift; Gift-of-Self & True Happiness; Freedom & Happiness; The Body Reveals the Person; Conscience; Original Unity
SAINT GEORGE AND THE DRAGON
As retold by Margaret Hodges illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman A knight is on a quest to save a kingdom from a ferocious dragon. As a Christ figure, this knight invites us to ponder virtue, freedom and the gift-of-self.
THEMES: : Original Solitude; Original Unity; The Body Reveals the Person; Virtue & Freedom
weekly videos - 2nd grade
PREP Catechist Instructional Videos - 2020/2021
Last Year's PREP videos.